Anonymous asked: the guy I like is a major basketball fan and I have no idea what any of it means. I know he's a major celtics fan! I just want to show him whats important to him is important to me or that I at least know something. I was wondering if you knew anything I can say to get a conversation started with him about basketball?
1st of all, let me say that this is a GREAT question, and I wish that you had not asked it under ANON. I would LOVE to continue to help you out with this topic.
I am a major Lakers fan. The complete OPPOSITE of a major Celtics fan. LOL. Lakers/Celtics is among the greatest sports rivalries of all time.
But I know almost everything there is to know about the Celtics.
So….I will start off by telling you a few things you certainly need to know about the Celtics to perhaps engage this guy in a friendly convo.
- The Celtics have won 17 NBA championships. That is more than ANY other team in ALL of basketball (important).
- The Celtics are what we basketball experts would call a “veteran” team. Veteran in this sense meaning OLD. ANY age over 34 is considered old, and 3 of the Celtics best players are over 34. Their names are Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen.
- NO expert gave the Celtics a chance to make it as far as they have, which is one win away from the NBA Finals, and that is 2 teams competing for the championship. It’s a HUGE deal. Try and bring up how unfair you think it was that nobody gave the Celtics a chance, and how they are right there with a chance to win it all. He will LOVE that!
- Rajon Rondo….LEARN THE NAME! He is the Celtics youngest great player, and is the main reason the Celtics have done so well. I’m sure you’ve at leat heard of Magic Johnson, well, he has been compared to him! He’s a BIG deal! Bring up his name, and simply mention how well he’s been playing. HE will take it from there! GUARANTEED.
- Kevin Garnett. Learn HIS name as well. HE is the oldest guy on the team. MANY thought his best days were behind him, but he is playing as well as he EVER has. Bring THAT up as well. He will LOVE that!
- Anything you can say about NOT liking LeBron James or calling him a choke artist will almost certainly be a plus.
MY wife knows almost nothing about sports, but understands why I love them so much. She is SLOWLY coming around, and trying to understand a little better.
So my BEST advice is for you to be yourself. Watch a game or two and see if you find it interesting. Maybe even tell him that you would love to learn more about basketball, and who knows, maybe that turns into an invitation to watch the game with him….
If you WATCH the game with him, and ask him questions about the rules and players, he will LOVE that you’re taking an active interest in something he loves SO much. It will THRILL him to teach you the ins and outs of the games, and who knows where it goes from there…
But if you wanna dive straight in, like you know some things already, the 6 points I gave you are your best bet.
MY BEST ADVICE: Pick 2 or 3 of the points that I mentioned, learn them well, and bring them up to him CASUALLY in a conversation. If ALL goes well, maybe you get invited to watch a game with him! If so, do NOT I repeat do NOT be afraid to ask him questions about the rules or players. We guys have MASSIVE egoes, and LOVE to think that we are teaching our women so much! Temporarily feeding his ego WILL pay off! Don’t sit back and give off the impression that you know it all. ASK the questions!
I REALLY hope you see this and I REALLY hope it helps!
If you need ANYMORE help PLEASE ask me, preferably NOT ANON next time so that I can guarantee that you see it.
I REALLY hope this helps!