Wonder how many fans actually stuck around after Tiger and Phil missed the cut at the Greenbrier Classic…
Seriously, the other golfers are about as interesting as Irish folk dancing.
This sucks for golf…
TIGER MISSES THE CUT
For only the 3rd time in his all time great colf career, Tiger Woods has missed the cut at a Major Championship.
Tiger Woods has won 14 major championships. The all-time record for most majors is 18, held by the legendary Jack Nicklaus.
Just two years ago, the question was not, WILL Tiger break Jack’s all-time record, but WHEN will Tiger Woods break the all-time majors record. And how many majors would Tiger add to the Golden Bear’s total.
Two years ago, myself and every other golf follower on the face of the Earth was absolutely positive that Tiger would get to the 19 neccessary to eclipe the record.
Hell, I was still positive that Tiger would set the all-time mark AFTER his extramarital affairs surfaced, AFTER the subsequent divorce, AFTER the injuries, AFTER the numerous sponsorship deals tha he lost, and last but not least, AFTER the absolutely shitty golf that he had played.
I gave Tiger Woods the benefit of the doubt after every bad swing, after every missed cut, after every shitty tournament played, because well…HE’S TIGER WOODS!
The benefit of the doubt ended today.
It ended right along with Tiger’s dominance atop the golfing world.
For me, the question is no longer, WILL he break the all-time majors’ record. The question is now, will he EVER win another major?
I wouldn’t bet any money on it.
Not even if I were rich.
Right now, major title number 15 seems just as far away as number 18 for Tiger Woods.
It wasn’t the surfacing of his indiscretions, the divorce, the loss of sponsorships, the terrible golf, and ESPECIALLY not the firing of his long time caddy Steve Williams that have brought Tiger to this point.
Like pretty much every great, championship caliber athlete in history, Tiger Woods has a massive ego.
An ego that was constantly fed by the fact that Tiger was beating the brakes off of every golfer in the World on a weekly basis, and shacking up with any and EVERY woman that was willing to spread her legs for him without ANYBODY, most notably his own wife knowing a damn thing about it, despite the fact that he was the world’s wealthiest, most successful, and most recognizable athlete.
Tiger Woods had to feel like he could do NO wrong.
Like he was untouchable.
The day his indiscretions surfaced, the massive ego that had forever feuled Tiger Woods unmatched success on the PGA tour, was FOREVER damaged.
And with every shitty swing or round of golf that Tiger takes part in, he gets further and further away from being able to ever recover any of that lost ego, or confident, “I’m gonna beat your ass today” swagger.
He gets further and further from ever being the golfer he was.
That record 18 majors gets further and further away.
No recovered sponsorship deals, no new caddy, no changed swing, or any amount of beautiful women in the world will EVER fix what Tiger Woods has lost.
So…you’re Tiger Woods and you return to golf after a few months away due to injury, and you just fired the dude that had been your caddy for the last 13 years only to return to see the golfer that he NOW caddies for win the tournament….
Not so great to be Tiger these days…
Who’d a thunk it??
Tiger’s former caddy, Steve Williams, who had been on Tiger’s bag for the past 13 years, including 7 wins at this week’s event, THEN had the audacity to say that this week’s win with golfer Adam Scott was the HIGHLIGHT of his career.
All the tournament wins, major championship wins, and money you made with Tiger on your way to becoming the ONLY FUCKING CADDY IN THE WORLD THAT ANYBODY has EVER heard of, and this one measly tour win is the highlight of your career???
Gimme a fuckin break dude.
5 Athletes EVERYBODY has an opinion about….
This man, and this man alone is responsible for making PGA Tour golf “watchable.” This man is responsible for bringing a sport so often thought of amongst most Americans as “boring,” to the mainstream. He is not only the greatest golfer of this generation, he is most likely the greatest golfer of all-time, and the most recognizable athlete in the world.
All of that being said, there are varying opinions on Tiger Woods throughout the world. There were varying opinions on Woods BEFORE all of his indscretions outside of wed lock were brought to the surface last year.
Many didn’t like the fist pumps, the tossing of the club after a bad shot, the cursing, the screaming, etc. Amongst many traditionalists, golf was a gentleman’s game and Tiger, despite being the best golfer in any doubter’s lifetime, didn’t quite play the game the way they want him too.
As a result of his numerous acts of adultery, Tiger has lost millions of sponsorship dollars, the support of the average female, his spotless public image, and apparently at least as of now, his ability to win at the highest level in the sport of golf. Love him or hate him, the sport of golf simply CANNOT make it without him. Despite your feelings torwards Tiger, when he plays you’re tuning in like hell to see what happens.
Out of those of you reading this post, which of you paid any ttentionat all to the PGA or the sport of golf?
There are TWO storylines in golf that the world abroad gives a damn about:
- Will Tiger Woods ever regain his past form?
- Will Tiger Woods eclipse Jack Nichlaus record for total major Championships won?
Sure, golf as a whole is in a great place right now. There are so many talented golfers from all around the world. It is nearly impossible to predict with any amount of certainty which golfer will win on any given weekend.
Such a wide range spread of talent in a sports should be a good thing, right?
Not in golf.
Tiger Woods is currently ranked 17th in the world. Here are the 16 golfers ranked ahead of him:
- Luke Donald
- Lee Westwood
- Martin Kaymer
- Rory Mcilroy
- Steve Stricker
- Phil Mickelson
- Jason Day
- Matt Kuchar
- Graeme McDowell
- Nick Watney
- Charl Schwartzel
- Dustin Johnson
- Paul Casey
- KJ Choi
- Bubba Watson
- Ian Poulter
How many of them would you recognize if they were standing RIGHT beside you in a checkout line at a grocery store? For the average person, I’m going to say no more than 3. But would you recognize the top 16 NBA, MLB, or NFL players? Most likely.
Tiger Woods not playing in tournaments is bad for golf. Tiger Woods performing badly in tournaments he DOES play in is bad for golf. Tiger Woods not winning is sure as hell bad for golf.
Rory Mcilroy’s unbelievable 72 round, record breaking score at the US Open was the stuff legends are made of.
And it was news for 5 days.
Tiger Woods marital status has been news for 2 YEARS.
If Tiger isn’t playing and playing well, the average sports fan could give a fuck less about golf. Hell, they are more interested in the NFL and NBA LOCKOUTS than the PGA tour.
I personally believe that Tiger can get CLOSE to being as good as he was. And being only in his mid 30’s, has plenty of time to make a run at the all time majors record. But his extended break shows that if nothing else, Tiger is scared now. He knows that he can no longer go out there with obvious injurier and whoop every other golfer’s ass like he used to. He knows if he is going to come back and dominate like he once did, he is going to have to go through the motions and come back 100%.
Tiger CAN be as good as he was, and he definitely needs to try.
Tiger Woods can’t leave golf alone, the game needs him.
Golf was almost exciting again! And then…
Tiger Woods came onto the first tee at Augusta last Sunday with almost everybody believing he had no shot in hell of contending for the Masters title.
They were wrong.
Tiger Woods HAD a shot to win the 2011 title.
For nine holes, the first nine holes of the final round, all was well in Tiger Woods world, as well as for the game of golf.
For nine holes, we got THIS:
We got THIS:
GOLF WAS FUN AGAIN!
And then, on the back nine, unfortunately, we got THIS:
Tiger began the fina; round seven strokes behind the lead in ninth place. However, his furious rally that included a long string of birdies as well as a 15 foot Eagle putt pushed him into a tie for the lead at 10 under with Rory McIlroy and Charl Schwartzel.
It was almost vintage Tiger.
Woods was all set to pull off what could have been his best come-from-behind victory ever and win his first major tournament since the 2009 Australian Masters. But it was not to be as Tiger struggled with a few key putts late in the round, resulting in a bogey at the 12th hole, followed by shooting par at the par 5 13th hole.
“I should have easily shot 3 or 4 under on the back nine,” he said. “I was right there in the thick of it.”
Indeed you were.
It was at the end of this tournament, while Charl Schwartzel was showing off his new green jacket that I realized one thing to be CERTAIN.
No professional athlete in HISTORY has EVER been more important to his sport than Tiger Woods is to golf.
Not Michael Jordan to basketball.
Not Derek Jeter to baseball.
Not Peyton Manning to football.
Charl Schwartzel, the underdog, winning on Sunday while the popular big dog was exactly like Trevor Bayne winning the Daytona 500 after Dale Earnhardt Jr. had been in contention for the win all day long before being taken out by a late race accident.
It was a nice story, but in the long run, nobody gives a shit.
Tiger Woods and his pursuit of Jack Nicklaus’ all time Majors record of 18, is ALL that matters.
Tiger Woods overcoming his personal deamons, and permanent stains on wht was his flawless reputation to return to his previous level of dominance on the game of golf is all that matters.
I don’t see how any golf fan, whether they bee a fan of Tiger’s or not, could possibly disagree.
TOP 10 MOST DISLIKED SPORTS FIGURES
Forbes recently conducted a study to determine the “10 Most Disliked People in Sports.” This year’s Top 10, courtesy of Forbes.com, are:
- Al Davis-Owner of the Oakland Raiders
- Michael Vick-QB Philladelphia Eagles
- Jerry Jones-Owner of the Dallas Cowboys
- Tiger Woods
- Manny Ramirez-Outfielder Tampa Bay Rays
- Terrell Owens-Wide Reciever Cincinatti Bengals
- Albert Haynesworth-Defensive Lineman Washington Redskins
- Mark McGwire-Retired St. Louis Cardinal, current hitting coach for Cardinals
- Bob Knight-Hall of Fame College basketball coach, current ESPN analyst
- Randy Moss-Wide Reciever Tennessee Titans
That is “THEIR” list. I must admit, that I pretty much couldn’t disagree more with it. It sucks in fact. Al Davis? Most hated man in sports? The average “young” fan doesn’t even know who this bastard is, not to mention, this man isn’t even the most disliked owner on MY list. You want my stance on Michael Vick? He fucked up. He fucked up bad, but he has suffered the consequences and paid his debt to society. One of the many things that I dislike so much about our society is how hypocrytical we are. MOST of us have screwed up, many of us every bit as bad as him. How would we feel if we were publicly executed in the world of public opinion? I feel the same about Tiger Woods. I believe that the oath of marriage is THE MOST sacred oath we as human beings can take, and Tiger violated it MANY times over. But he payed desperately for it! He had his public life exposed to the entire world, his wife divorced him, he has lost full custody of his children, he has lost most of his sponsors, and his golf game still hasn’t returned to the level it was at before all of this happened. He has suffered enough, let’s move on! Now, to “MY TOP 10 MOST DISLIKED SPORTS FIGURES.”
- Rex Ryan-Head Coach New York Jets…DAMN I DESPISE THIS GUY!! I’m not sure if the Jets hired this sumbitch to coach, or to selfishly promote himself in order to then draw attention to the team. If they hired him for the latter, this bastard deserves a raise! DOES HE EVER SHUT UP??? You never heard anything about the Jets players. It was always Rex Ryan this, Rex Ryan that, from the moment the HBO series “Hard Knocks” debuted in the pre-season til the moment the Jets were gloriously eliminated from the playoffs! Once the Jets got to the playoffs, the talk was, “Rex Ryan vs. Peyton Manning.” Ugh….Ryan is a coach and Peyton is a player! Even though I WISH he would toss on some pads so that an opposing player (preferably Ray Lewis) would knock the shit out of him, the reality is that he is an old fat man on the sidelines! I don’t know what’s more sad, the fact that Ryan is a constant shit talking, self promotional juke box, or the fact that he got the rest of his team to buy into his bullshit, and embody his attitude in their own selfish and self-promotional ways!
- Steve Spurrier-Head Coach South Carolina Gamecocks…Almost everything I feel about Rex Ryan applies to the “ol’ ball coach.” Seriously, this guy won a National Title at Florida, a school that was LOADED with NFL talent, one that ANYBODY could’ve won a National Title with, and everyone in sports treats this guy like he is the personal savior of College Football! Any of you remember his stint with the Redskins?? How about that National title, or even that SEC title that he was CERTAINLY gonna bring the long cursed South Carolina Gamecocks? Quite simply, he is overrated, over payed, and he has had so many analysts in his ear over the years telling him how great he is, that this arrogant son of a gun has bought into it himself! Step into reality Steve…the “ol ball coach,” just ain’t that good…
- Jerry Jones-Owner Dallas Cowboys…Arrogant, cocky, entitled, all despite the fact that the so called “America’s Team” Dallas Cowboys haven’t won a playoff game in a dozen years and are coming off another losing season. Jerry, here is your dose of reality…the Cowboys won Super Bowl titles in the 90’s because they had Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin, and the biggest and meanest offensive line in all of football, it had nothing to do with you! Hire a GM to run the team, and sit your ass down in the luxury box and write the checks.
- Mike Shanahan-Coach Washington Redskins…After one season in Washington, it ALL makes sense! This motherfucker can’t coach! Those super bowl titles in Denver were ALL Elway! The way he handled Albert Haynesworth and Donovan McNabb in the media, especially the fact that he publicly benched former pro-bowler several times over, McNabb, for the final few games of season in favor of freakin Rex Grossman withou even notifying him first is straight up bullshit, and is something you would expect from a first year coach, not one that has won 2 Super Bowls.
- Manu Ginobili-San Antonio Spurs…This may not make sense to many of you, but this guy just gets on my nerves! The way he plays, the way he carries himself, they both just irritate me. Maybe it’s because I’m a life long Lakers fan, and his team, the Spurs have been our biggest West Coast rivals for YEARS….
- Kevin Garnett-Boston Celtics…Plain and simle…a dirty player. I never thought so until he became a Celtic, but apparently many NBA players agree with my assesment. He takes trash talking to far, and he carries that same attitude onto the court. I don’t like it…
- Kyle Busch-NASCAR…Imagine if Steve Spurrier were a Stock Car driver. Busch is arrogant, overly aggressive, drives like he is the only driver on the track and has often put other drivers and crew members in jeopardy with his attitude and on track actions. This kid has loads of talent, and NASCAR needs a bad boy, but a line has to be drawn somewhere…
- Rusty Wallace-Retired Driver Current ESPN NASCAR analyst…Simply put, THE WORST COMMENTATOR IN THE HISTORY OF NASCSAR! Period. No commentator has ever been more likely to state the obvious. The fact that this ignorant sumbitch gets paid buckets of cash to talk about sports when their are hundreds of more qualified recent college graduates, who would gladly do his job at a fraction of what ESPN pays him, irks me to no end…
- Lou Holtz-Retired Coach current ESPN analyst…Never, EVER has there been a more biased analyst! He used to coach at South Carolina and Notre Dame, and this bastard picks both schools to win EVERY SINGLE TIME!! The Cocks could be playing the Steelers and Lou would pick them to win! Word to Lou…THE COCKS BOOTED YOUR ASS FOR THE OL’ BALL COACH!! YOU DO NOT OWE THEM YOUR BIASED OPINIONS! You are payed to be an analyst, and check your personal attachments at the door. When do you plan to start?
- Rajon Rondo-Boston Celtics…Quite simply, this guy is one of the most over rated athletes in all of sports! He gets 15 assists a game because everybody on his damn team is an all-star and because he can’t hit the broad side of a barn when he shoots it himself! I don’t know why anybody even D’s up this guy! Play off of him and make HIM beat you! Trust me…he can’t do it!
MARILYN PIC OF THE DAY